28 February 2013
Bob Cryan, vice-chancellor, University of Huddersfield wins the Leadership Foundation’s Inspiring Leader award at the inaugural Guardian University Awards
The Inspiring Leader award was voted for by over 3,000 members of the Guardian Higher Education Network.
Professor Bob Cryan took up the post as vice-chancellor of the University of Huddersfield in January 2007, a University that now has students from more than 130 countries. Bob holds five degrees including an MBA and two doctorates and he is a Chartered Engineer and Fellow of the Institution of Engineering Technology. Bob is also a Deputy Lieutenant for West Yorkshire. He tweets as @HUDVC
Huddersfield have been regular and consistent members of the Leadership Foundation and Bob is an alumni of the Top Management Programme and a regular speaker on the Senior Strategic Leadership programme.
"The University of Huddersfield has a long and proud tradition of education - it can trace its roots back to the 1825 Huddersfield Scientific and Mechanic Institute. We have over 24,000 students, studying courses from architecture to youth and community work. Our researchers are working on projects that will have impact across the globe. The team in the vice-chancellor's office is responsible for providing the strategic direction to ensure that the University continues to deliver its vision, and achieve the targets set out in its strategic plan." Bob Cryan
Others shortlisted for the Inspiring Leader award:
• Martin Bean, vice-chancellor, Open University
• John Dishman, director and chief executive, Coventry University College, Coventry University
• Alison Johns, head of leadership governance and management at Hefce
• Tricia King, pro-vice-master for student experience and director of external relations, Birkbeck, University of London
• Dr Malcolm McVicar, vice-chancellor of the University of Central Lancashire
• Mike Nicholson, director of undergraduate admissions and outreach, University of Oxford
• Mary Stuart, vice-chancellor, University of Lincoln
28 February 2013