Being an effective Governor
This is a one-day induction event for Welsh Governors
New governors (and, indeed, those in post for some while) face the difficult challenge of horizon-scanning to ensure the long term sustainability of their HEI. This is alongside the immediacy of governance responsibilities with respect to public accountability and viability – all in a climate of competition and turbulent change. This induction workshop will familiarise you with key perspectives on the task in hand and will enable you to become an effective governor, confident and capable in dealing with board issues.
This seminar has been planned with opportunities to voice governance queries and worries, big or small, before and during the event. Afterwards you can continue to connect and encourage others to become interested in the agenda for good governance.
Topics will be shaped to include:
- How do you contribute (early and appropriately) to effective Board decision making?
- Horizon scanning: the sustainability question. How should Boards be safeguarding the future of the institution?
- Relationships: How do you build key relationships with fellow governors and, particularly, with the chair and the secretary or clerk?
- How do you build up your knowledge base? What are the key sources of information?
This event will be of particular interest to governors who are new to higher education – but it may also be relevant to those who seek a new opportunity for dialogue around key and contemporary issues.
If you would like to attend the induction event, Being an effective governor please return the completed booking form to Tori Senior, Marketing Coordinator, T: 0207 849 6908
Also of interest
- Tuesday 21 May 2013 Shaping our future in Wales
- Friday 07 June 2013 Top Management Programme (TMP 31)
- Thursday 13 June 2013 Governor Toolkit: Part Two - Strategy and Measuring Performance
- Thursday 13 June 2013 Governor Toolkit: Part Two - Protecting Reputation, Positioning for Success
- Thursday 13 June 2013 Governor Toolkit: Part Two - Legal-Charity-Statutory
- Thursday 20 June 2013 Student as Governor: Preparing for life beyond the boardroom
- Friday 01 November 2013 Top Management Programme (TMP 32)
- Tuesday 26 November 2013 Preparing for Senior Strategic Leadership (PSSL 19)
- Tuesday 18 March 2014 Preparing for Senior Strategic Leadership (PSSL 20)