Being an effective Governor (Scotland)
This is a one-day induction event for Scottish Governors
- £200.00 GDP Member Price
- £400.00 GDP Non Member Price
Governors face the difficult challenge of horizon-scanning to ensure the long term sustainability of their HEI. At the same time, they confront the immediacy of governance responsibilities with respect to public accountability; serving the public good; promoting and protecting reputation - all in a climate of competition and turbulent change.
This induction workshop will familiarise you with key perspectives on the task in hand and will enable you to accelerate you journey to becoming an effective governor (whether independent, staff or student), confident and capable in dealing with board issue and deploying appropriately the skills and experience you bring to the board.
Topics will be shaped to include:
- How do you contribute to effective board decision making?
- Horizon scanning; the sustainability question. How should boards be safeguarding the future of the institution? How do you identify and mitigate key risks?
- Relationships: How do you build key relationships with fellow governors and, particularly, with the chair and the secretary or clerk?
- How do you build up your knowledge base? What are the key sources of information?
The day is designed for those early in post to explore and develop knowledge and skills of higher education governance, whether an independent, staff or student governor. It will also benefit those who wish to revisit governance issues in a contemporary context. It represents the first step in governors assessing their personal development needs.
If you would like to attend the induction event, Being an effective governor please return the completed booking form to Tori Senior, Marketing Coordinator, T: 020 3468 4818 or book a place online.
Format of the day:
This seminar has been planned with opportunities to voice governance queries and worries, big or small, before and during the event. Afterwards you can continue to connect and encourage to become interested in the agenda for good governance.
The event fees include all costs associated with:
- Lunch and refreshments during the programme times
- External speakers
Governors will leave this seminar better able to question:
- The proper role and boundaries of good governance
- The ways in which big decisions are taken at the HEI
- The proper role for committees and working groups
- The relationships with key stakeholders
- The information available to governors
Also of interest
- Thursday 24 April 2014 Engaging Leaders - Book Launch Event
- Friday 25 April 2014 Top Management Programme (TMP 33)
- Tuesday 13 May 2014 Senior Strategic Leadership (SSL 19)
- Thursday 15 May 2014 Shaping our agenda: Wales
- Wednesday 21 May 2014 Tracking the careers of TMP Alumni - dissemination event
- Thursday 22 May 2014 East and South East Regional Event: Experiences of Change
- Thursday 22 May 2014 Does my Board need a makeover?
- Thursday 05 June 2014 Demystifying OD and HR Strategies
- Friday 06 June 2014 East and West Midlands Regional Event: Experiences of Change
- Thursday 19 June 2014 Student as Governor: Preparing for life beyond the boardroom