Essentials of Finance
This is a one day event
- £395.00 Members Price
- £495.00 Non Members Price
This workshop has been developed for senior leaders with a non-financial background to enable their effectiveness in relation to corporate governance. The event covers the basics of financial reporting and budgetary control. Participants will leave with a good sense of the principles and terminology of accounting and be able to have a financially informed dialogue with their senior finance colleagues, when reviewing results and making tactical and strategic decisions.
The workshop focuses on:
- Basic financial principles
- Financial dynamics (income, expenditure, assets and liabilities)
- Basic ratios for financial control and economic health
- Budgetary control and variance analysis
- Cost analysis and decision-making
As a result of attendance on this workshop, participants will have:
- Understood the key principles on which transaction recording is based and which underpin their institution's published financial statements
- Considered appropriate ratios to assist management of their institution
- Appreciated the need for budgets and variance analysis to plan and control their institution's operations
- Understood the use of cost analysis to assist in decision-making and thereby be better able to fulfil their role of exercising proper stewardship of the students, staff, physical and monetary resources entrusted to them.
Senior non-financial managers (up to and including members of the Senior Executive Team) who have managerial and budgetary responsibilities within their institutions.
If you would like to attend this seminar please return the completed booking form to Michael McCully, Marketing Coordinator, T: 020 3468 4817
The event fees include all costs associated with:
- Lunch and refreshments during the programme times
- External speakers
Essentials of Finance
PA T: 020 3468 4817
David Palmer BA, FCA, CTA, MCIPD is a financial professional who has devoted his skills to management training in practical understanding and utilisation of financial information. He has worked at senior levels in the Finance and the Computer Services industries. David has run management programmes for over 30 major organisations including BP, Eversheds, Ernst & Young, Kimberly Clark, Price Waterhouse Coopers, Royal Mail, and Tesco.
A prolific writer of case studies, role plays and course material, many of his generic documents are freely available on his website: www.finanacialmanagementdevelopment.com.
David was a Governor and member of the Finance Committee of Luton University for nine years and of Dunstable College for three years. He is a Deacon in the Catholic Church.
"This was a fantastic course to help embed the basic financial principles which I need in order to manage a large department. In particular I feel much more confident in understanding financial documents provided by our Finance Departments and plannng ahead"
Kate Jones, Institute Manager, Institute of Integrative Biology, University of Liverpool
" I very much enjoyed the programme, and I have learned exactly what I needed - and what was promise: an understanding of the essentials of finance"
Matthias Feist, Head of Department, Careers and Business Relations, Regent's University London
Also of interest
- Wednesday 09 September 2015 South West Regional Event: Inspire to Transform
- Thursday 10 September 2015 GDP: Student as Governor
- Monday 14 September 2015 Policy into Practice: The Leadership Challenge (Bristol)
- Tuesday 15 September 2015 Strategic Leadership Programme (SLP2)
- Friday 25 September 2015 Policy into Practice: The Leadership Challenge (Manchester)
- Thursday 01 October 2015 Research Team Leadership
- Thursday 01 October 2015 GDP: Student and Staff as Governor Scotland
- Friday 02 October 2015 Top Management Programme (TMP 37)
- Friday 09 October 2015 East and West Midlands Regional Event: Leading Change in Higher Education
- Tuesday 13 October 2015 GDP: Clerks and Secretaries Programme