GDP: Making Governance Work
This is a one-day event for all governors
Registration and refreshments will be available from 09.30 with the programme starting promptly at 10.00. The day will close at 16.00
- £210.00 GDP Member Price
- £420.00 GDP Non Member Price
Fully securing the important contribution of staff governors is a live challenge for both universities and higher education colleges and for the governors themselves. They are well placed to convey messages from the wider academic community into the boardroom and to engage in appropriate communication with colleagues outside.
They often bring particular and relevant subject expertise and scholarly interpretation. Yet there are issues of responsibilities and accountability accruing specifically to their corporate role which may bring tensions and perceived conflicts of interest. Learning how experienced staff governors and their independent governor colleagues and chairs address this agenda effectively will be a major focus for the day. It will also be relevant for staff working in institutions providing support to the board of governors.
Aims and objectives
Delegates will leave with an improved understanding of;
- Key aspects of the basic principles of good governance
- Diverse aspects of the role and responsibilities of governors
- How to bring their understanding and the perspectives of the staff body appropriately to bear on the corporate governance of the institution
- How to raise difficult issues
- Building good relationships an links with others
Staff governors, or anyone considering becoming a governor together with those experienced staff governors who wish to revisit core governance business against contemporary chellenges
If you would like to attend Governor Toolkit Part One please return the completed booking form to Tori Senior, Marketing Coordinator, T: 020 3468 4818
The event fees include all costs associated with:
- Lunch and refreshments during the programme times
- External speakers
We have planned this event with networking opportunities throughout the day.
Also of interest
- Thursday 04 June 2015 GDP: Preparing for life after the Students' Union
- Thursday 19 November 2015 Joint Workshop for Chairs of Governing Bodies and Vice-Chancellors / Principals 2015