How its done
There is no one way to plan and run a succession strategy. Different organisations with different circumstances require different solutions. However there are a number of considerations which will almost always need to be addressed when you are planning your succession strategy:
- Resources – how much will it cost? And how can you justify that cost?
- Making the case – are all the stakeholders convinced about the need for a succession scheme? And do they all agree on the details?
- Size and scope – how specific should the scheme be? How many posts should it cover? What should it focus on?
- Roles, stakeholders and engagement – who will be involved in running the scheme? Are they able and motivated to do it?
- Selection and assessment – how do you select the right people to be part of the process?
- Development methods – how do you actually support and develop individuals once they are part of the succession scheme?