Building on Your Leadership Skills
Building on Your Leadership Skills follows on from the Leading Your Technical Team programme.
The registration desk will be open from 09.30 am on Thursday 3 April 2014 with the programme starting promptly at 10.00 am; the programme is due to finish Friday 4 April 2014 at 4.00 pm
- Application deadline:
- Friday 28 March 2014
- £750.00 Member Price
- £940.00 Non Member Price
- Who should apply
- Find out more and book
- Facilitators Biographies
- Aims and Objectives
- More »
Technicians are an integral part to an institution helping to boost student experience and in the production of quality research. Building on Your Leadership Skills provides an opportunity for updating on issues of importance to supervisory/managerial technical staff from both academic and service areas. The programme will cover topics including:
- Leadership and motivation - The differences of motivation, influence and manipulation.
- Managing performance - Where and when to improve team and/or individuals performance.
- Working with difficult people - How to take control (case studies will be used the illustrate this).
- Influencing - Influencing teams and influencing individuals.
- Leadership intelligences - Personality based leadership, leadership and team performance.
The course is intended for those who have already attended Leading Your Technical Team (or a similar programme), or have been in post for a few years. Participants will have the opportunity to look at practical challenges of managing or supervising technical staff from both academic and service areas.
Completed forms should be returned to Baljit Sandhu, Marketing Coordinator, T: 020 3468 4819
The programme fee includes all costs associated with:
- Dinner, accommodation and breakfast for the nights of the programme. Delegates may book additional accommodation for the night before or after the event
- Lunch and refreshments during the programme times
- External speakers
Facilitator, Leading Your Technical Team
Kevin is the departmental manager of the Department of Infection and Immunity within the Medical School at the University Sheffield as a trainee Medical Laboratory Scientific Officer 30 year ago and subsequently experienced a series of diverse technical roles within the School. Over the last 10 years he has undertaken a range of senior managerial positions, leading technical and support staff teams, under various administrations and has been involved with small and large project teams across the University. Kevin is actively involved in both promoting and delivering training at Sheffield.
Facilitator, Leading Your Technical Team
Lisa has significant experience managing large teams in both private and public sector organisations. After graduating from Loughborough University she worked for airport operator BAA plc in a variety of operation, change management and training roles across all the London airports. Whilst with BAA she also gained her MBA from the Univeristy of Surrey. In 2000 Lisa moved with her family to the USA where she undertook volunteer work which included the American Red Cross and the Small Business Administration in Texas. Lisa joined the University of Sheffield in 2005 and she currently manages a team of 400+ staff in her role as Head of Campus Services.
Programme Director, Leading Your Technical Team
In additional to his role with the Leadership Foundation, Ian is the departmental manager for the Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering at the University of Sheffield. He has been at Sheffield for 38 years, beginning his career there as an electronics technician following a number of years in the electronics industry and an electrical engineering apprenticeship in the steel industry. throughout his career Ian has built up a wealth of experience in managing a diverse range of support staff teams. He has managed technical teams ranging in size from 2 to 40 people as well as small to medium sized administrative and managerial teams. Ian's current departmental resource management responsibilities include finance, support staff, safety, building and facilities. He has also been heavily involved in wider university business for many years including university staff promotion and appeals panels. He is a fellow of the Institute of Science and Technology (IST) and editor of the IST Journal. For Many years Ian has been actively involved in both promoting and delivering technical training at Sheffield and also more widely through the Leadership Foundation run programmes, Leading Your Technical Team and Building on Your Leadership Skills
By the end of the programme participants will know how to:
- Lead and motivate by identifying the key skills and characteristics of successful leaders and team managers and to develop the key people management skills you need to ensure in your supervisory role.
- Create a vision and direction to motivate, manage and lead your team and individuals to meet objectives and deliver results.
- Improve performance through developing personal strategies for enhancing the effectiveness of your team by using flexibility across the leadership styles.
- Identify the multiple intelligences and leadership qualities that will help to make you a good leader.
- Work with difficult people through resolving conflict and dealing with difficult people and situations confidently and positively.
- Manage performance through developing your team's strengths by setting and researching both personal and team objectives using delegation and leadership skills.
- Lead a team made up of different personalities and encourage mutual respect and cooperation from all team members and understand how to overcome barriers to communication.
- Understand yourself, your influencing environment and your impact and to develop multi directional influencing skills and influencing strategy.
Also of interest
- Friday 28 April 2017 Top Management Programme (TMP 40)
- Monday 08 May 2017 GDP: Women onto Boards - London
- Wednesday 10 May 2017 Knowing Our Place? Strategic Leadership of University Local Partnerships
- Thursday 11 May 2017 GDP: Women onto Boards - Cardiff
- Thursday 18 May 2017 Research Team Leadership
- Tuesday 06 June 2017 Wales Leaders Programme
- Tuesday 06 June 2017 Preparing for Senior Strategic Leadership (PSSL 27)
- Thursday 08 June 2017 GDP: Women onto Boards - Belfast
- Tuesday 13 June 2017 Leading Change: Legal Organisational Forms 2
- Wednesday 14 June 2017 DVC/PVC Network Event